Ever feel like you wrote a blog, but it’s missing something? Or how about that you felt it wasn’t good enough? This blogging checklist has 5 things listed to show how you can write a better blog, and feel GREAT about it!
Create a catchy title
Just like you skim the cover of a book to determine if you will read it or not, people do the same thing with blog posts.
Yep… I am guilty of that one.
You will need to have a catchy title if you want your blog read or shared by others. A good headline will be read by 80% of people, with only 20% that actually read the entire article.
Make it stand out!
Listed below are a few tools you can use that will help you with your title:
- Advanced Marketing Institute
- Portent’s Content Idea Generator
- Link Bait Title Generator
Make it Easy to Read
- Create short paragraphs. No longer than 3 sentences or 3-4 lines is recommended.
- Use bullet or numbered lists (As I am doing here)
- Subheads every 200-300 words or when you’re moving onto the next topic.
- I like to use H3 for my subheads.
- Bolding and Italics – ONLY when necessary.
- I usually do italics for my disclosure at the top of my articles.
- Internal links that go to other content or articles on your site.
- GREAT for SEO because it helps with increasing pageviews!
Not only should you have a kick-ass featured image at the beginning of your post, don’t be afraid to add other photos throughout the post.
Seriously… you need to include pictures in ALL of your posts. Make sure the pictures are relevant though. You don’t want a picture of a whale if your post is about flowers…you get my point?
Here are some of my favorite places to get free stock photos:
*Although these sites offer free stock images, some may require you to enter your email address or sign up to receive photos.
Call to Actions
Call to what?
Do you want more subscribers? Or followers?
YESS! Then you need to have a call to action.
A call to action is usually located at the end of your article. It can be anything from asking your readers to follow you on social media, asking them to leave a comment on your post, or purchasing something you have to sell.
SEO your Blog
SEO is very important for your blog. Why you ask??
When you optimize your web pages and posts, you’re making your website more visible by Google.
So how do we do that?
- Use long tail keywords.
- Enter your keywords in the title, header, body, URL and meta description.
- Add alt text to your images.
- Use internal links to other posts you have written.
- Don’t overuse topic tags.
- If you have too many similar tags, it appears as if you’re showing the same content multiple times.
- Enter meta description.
- Ensure your site is mobile friendly.
- Have a secure domain
- Google places secure domains above insecure domains.
* Although there are many SEO plugins, I like to use Yoast SEO to optimize my site.
So there you have easy, simple steps on creating that perfect post.
Until next time!